When do you need a missions pastor?
You need a missions pastor if three or more of the following are true of your church:
- You want to become proactive in establishing a missions strategy for your church.
- Your church is serious about maximizing the impact of your missions efforts.
- Your church is spending more than $150,000 per year in missions.
- You want to recruit and begin preparing missionaries from your church.
- You expect to operate more than a half dozen missions trips per year.
- You want to deliberately involve the majority of your congregation in participating or supporting cross-cultural ministries.
- Your church has an opportunity to work cross-culturally in your own community.
Where to look for a missions pastor
Where to look for a missions pastor (there are relatively few experienced ones):
- A current staff member who wants to change roles
- A current lay person in your church who wants to change careers and join staff
- A capable, experienced early retiree
- A missionary or mission agency employee
- Someone currently in seminary or graduate school
Source: Stuff you need to know about Doing Missions in Your Church, David Mays, p. 24